Tips and Strategies for Physical Activity
Did You Know…
- Evidence shows that people who lose weight gradually and steadily (about 1 to 2 pounds per week) are more successful at keeping weight off. (1)
- 33% of Los Angeles High school students used computers 3 or more hours per day on an average school day. (2)
- 6 in 10 adults now report walking, making it the most popular form of physical activity. (4)
How Much Should You Exercise?
Adults (18 to 64 years)
Adults should get at least 2 hours and 30 minutes per week of moderate physical activity, or 1 hour and 15 minutes per week of vigorous physical activity, spreading aerobic activity out over at least 3 days a week is best. adults should also engage in strengthening activities such as push-ups, sit-ups and weights, at least twice a week. (2)
Children and Adolescents (6 to 17 years)
Children and adolescents are recommended to engage in aerobic physical activity at least 60 minutes per day at moderate- to vigorous intensity level. At least 3 days a week of muscle and bone strengthening activities like climbing and jumping are recommended. Children and adolescents tends to be more interested in a variety of short and fun activities, rather than a long physical activities. (2)
Young Children (2 to 5 years)
Young children should play actively several times each day; however, there is no specific recommendation for the amount of physical activity that they should be getting. (2)
How to Include Exercise in your Busy Day
- Walk instead of drive whenever you can.
- Take the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator.
- Take a family walk after dinner.
- Walk briskly in the mall.
- Do sit ups or other exercises in front of the tv.
- Park farther from the store and walk.
- Join an exercise or dance group.
- Enroll your children in community sports teams.
- Play with your child and get them moving. (3)
Here are some more great exercise tip resources: