The L.A. Trust Summer Internship Program
The L.A. Trust for Children’s Health is pleased to offer summer internship opportunities for both undergraduate and graduate students. Please learn more about the organization by perusing our website to ensure that you find alignment with your academic and career goals and our work. We are pleased to offer opportunities for professional growth and development as you complete your respective programs, explore career interests, and contribute to a dynamic school based health care movement in Los Angeles.
We typically host students from disciplines such as public health, social work, and health policy, but are open to students from other disciplines as issues of health and education intersect with many other fields. Upon selection as a summer intern, the L.A. Trust Program Director will work with you to create a scope of work that meets your institutional guidelines, core competencies in your academic fields, and personal and professional interests.
Summer interns will be able to:
- Participate in an orientation on LAUSD’s Student Health and Human Services programs
- Learn about L.A. Trust strategic priorities and programs
- Participate in weekly interns check-in meetings and trainings
- Participate in journal club and facilitation of discussion
- Visit at least one LAUSD wellness center
- Hear from guest speakers who are expert in school based health care, health policy, and other fields
- Participate in a legislative visit to a state or congressional office
- Attend social outings with L.A. Trust staff and cohort members in the local area
The L.A. Trust Internship Program is designed to align with the organization’s strategic plan as well as support the student’s progress towards a career in public health, social work, or other related fields. To this end, the program will:
- Support the development of robust and integrated wellness centers and networks
- Expand comprehensive oral health care for LAUSD students
- Advocate for proactive student health policies within LAUSD and beyond
- Contribute to the development of the public health and related fields workforce
- Strengthen practice knowledge and skills in public health and related fields
Description of Duties
Although specific projects of summer interns will depend on a student’s academic program requirements and a scope of work that best meets the organization’s and student’s needs, the following list provides ideas of the scope of projects:
- LAUSD district-wide oral health initiative
- Grant writing
- Student engagement projects
- Health communications and marketing
- School based health policy/wellness policy
Students who are interested in applying for a summer internship position should complete an application (see link below) and submit it Kelly Bui, Program and Research Assocaite (firstname.lastname@example.org), with a resume attached by March 31, 2017. In-person interviews are scheduled to take place at LAUSD Headquarters on 333 S. Beaudry Ave., Los Angeles on April 20-21, 2017. Your application will be reviewed and an invitation to interview will follow if there is a fit. We have up to six internship slots this summer. A modest stipend will also be provided.
DOWNLOAD the application
- March: Summer internship application process opens, we will NOT accept application before March (Last day to apply: March 31, 2017)
- April: In-person interviews conducted (April 20-21, 2017)
- May: Decisions made; applicants will be notified by May 5, 2017
- May and June: Interns work with Rosario Rico, Research and Program Manager to craft scope of work
- June: Internship starts Monday, June 26, 2017; orientation will take place that day. Starting date is non-negotiable; end date and hours per week negotiable.